Anfim grinders

grinders for home and commercial

Anfim grinders

Postby James Hoffmann on Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:21 am

I am curious what people think of these grinders at the moment?

When I joined by current company they were using the amazingly ugly and boxey Lussos (cos they liked the slower rpms). The new ones seem a bit more pleasing.

There is something I find oddly satisfying about using them, both in the way they grind as well as the doser. Their stepped nature drove/drives me a bit nuts and I've been too lazy to implement a mod on the ones I have in pieces.

I only bring this up because I am starting to notice them more and more on flickr. I know Sammy was a fan of the titanium burred model but as a company they seem a little off the radar - I am still struggling to get a response to my e-mails! - and I wondered if anyone was working with/on them at all?
James Hoffmann

full name: James Hoffmann
company: Square Mile Coffee Roasters
: http://www.squaremilecoffee.com
: http://www.jimseven.com

Postby Robert Goble on Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:18 am

James - you'll have little luck in direct communication with them. Speaking Italian might help. Like many European manufacturers they seem a little more relaxed about business and don't have a particularly speedy response time.

We picked up 10 units and are currently evaluating them. It is agreed that they dose very very well. Huge training cost savings in time and coffee usage. We placed 2 units in a new retail buildout and our client's new staff almost eliminated dosing as a variable to their shot pulling after a single training session. Lots of pluses, equally some minuses, but they can stand head to head with most grinders on an overall value/performance metric.
Robert Goble
Elysian Coffee
Robert Goble

full name: Robert Goble
company: Elysian Coffee
: www.elysiancoffee.com

Postby Mike Gregory on Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:46 am

Like Robert, we have been using the Super Caimano. It's been up for 3 days, and I've only used it for a couple hours, so I dont have tons of feedback yet. Robert's obervations are correct. Great dosing, very clean sweeping, tiny grinds chute. Seems not to care how much coffee is in the hopper.
Mike Gregory

full name: Mike Gregory
company: Independent

Postby James Hoffmann on Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:22 pm

Has anyone tried the three phase model they do?
James Hoffmann

Postby drew johnson on Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:00 pm

Robert Goble wrote:and our client's new staff almost eliminated dosing as a variable to their shot pulling after a single training session.

hey robert,

eliminated dosing or distribution? (or both?)
sorry to nitpick but i been telling people that you can basically just skip distribution.
don't ask me why i'm saying anything cuz it's not like i've even used one, just enthusiastic from reports.

d.
Drew Johnson
hines/origins
drew johnson

Postby Alistair Durie on Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:38 pm

these Anfim's dose so neatly that distribution has become unnecessary.

the dosing is so clean that wastage is just about zero.

training on these grinders is a dream, and using them on our bar cuts coffee wastage big time.

disclosure: our company sells Anfim grinders
Last edited by Alistair Durie on Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alistair Durie
Elysian Coffee | photos | tweets
Alistair Durie
admin

full name: Alistair Durie
company: Elysian Coffee
: www.elysiancoffee.com
: www.coffeed.com

Postby Logan on Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:25 am

So is there a way to get our hands on one of those Anfims yet?
Logan

Postby Philip Search on Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:38 pm

When I use the Anfims, I do not re-distribute the coffee, and with a timer they are amazingly acurate.

Vince at 49th Parallel is who has been brining the grinder into N. America.

(disclosure, I have worked closely with Alistair and Vince on these grinders).
Philip Search
Philip Search

full name: Phillip Search
company: The Devil's Cup

Postby Jimmy Oneschuk on Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:46 pm

What is the burr size/style on these puppies?
Jimmy Oneschuk

full name: Jimmy Oneschuk
company: Museo
: espressolab.ca

Postby Philip Search on Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:39 pm

Burrs are 75mm, built with a solid geometry that works well with the RPM, (aprox 800). You get a range of grind particle variance that is very, very good. Slightly more fines than a mazzer major, slightly less than a Robur. I am not saying this grinder is perfect, but it is a solid step in the right direction. I know a chain of stores that uses this grinder and roburs, and hands down it seems to outperform the roburs according to the baristas, and also what I saw.
Philip Search
Philip Search

Postby Mike Gregory on Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:38 pm

Phillip, Alistair, et al...
Sticking a small rubber 'tamp mat' under the Anfim stops it from moving around while pulling the dosing lever.
Mike Gregory

full name: Mike Gregory
company: Independent

Postby Matthew Brinski on Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:41 pm

Coffeeparadise wrote:(disclosure, I have worked closely with Alistair and Vince on these grinders).

So are you (or Alistair / Goble) involved in getting them into the US? Is there info on specifications and availability?
Matthew Brinski
(non-affiliated)
Matthew Brinski

full name: Matthew Brinski
company: non-affiliated

Postby James Hoffmann on Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:09 am

Anyone had any heat issues yet?

The only time I ever really had a problem was using one at an event and I went through about 11 kilos in 7 or 8 and it got very, very hot. Uncomfortable to touch hot. That said - it isn't really designed for that kind of volume, but it was interesting to see how far the grind moved in that time - about 1/8th an entire rotation. Which was weird.

Any solutions to the stepped issue? I've only had one thought and suspect it to be too stupid to make public.
James Hoffmann

Postby luca on Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:43 am

James,

I haven't seen the anfim adjustment mechanism, but, presuming that it is pretty standard, couldn't you just remove the pin that locks into the steps and then have a bolt press against the collar to stop it from moving? We have a few grinders like that at work ... some modified, some stock. To adjust the grind, you release the locking bolt and twist the collar, then tighten the bolt again. Feels like adjusting a mazzer, but with no resistance. In fact, I find this mechanism easier to use than the mazzer mechanism or a worm drive.

The Gino Rossi conical burr grinders have this mechanism. A quick google didn't come up with much, except for this: http://www.coffee.com.au/ftp/Grinder_Adjustment.pdf

Speaking of conicals, we're getting together as a community and doing a backflip, are we? ;P

Cheers,

Luca
Luca Costanzo
Melbourne, Australia
First Pour
http://www.pourquality.blogspot.com
luca

full name: Luca Costanzo
company: None - publish coffeereviewaustralia.com
: http://www.coffeereviewaustralia.com
: http://www.pourquality.blogspot.com

Postby Philip Search on Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:23 pm

The grinder specs are;

115v 60 hrz (made to run on N American power!!!)

75mm burrs

800 rpms

Grinder is steped, with a timer this is not an issue in my opinion; but maybe ask the baristas at Trabant. If it is an issue to you, there are two very easy modds to change it to stepless. As near as I can figure, these are not the stock steps, but on the resent import shipments, were better than what I had previousy seen. These grinders exist because of a direct relationship between 49th parallel and Anfim. Pm or email me or Alistair to recieve more info on purchasing and availability. The 49th Parallel roasters booth will have one at SCAA.

The heat issue is no worse than most any grinder, better than a standard robur. There is a solution to this, but it at current is NOT a solution that is ETL/UL/CSA listed.

The grinders are listed ETL/UL/CSA as far as I understand.

I was part of a massive test on these grinders, i can say that for the cost, usability, and amazing acuracy of dosing, it is about the best grinder readily available.

What else do you want to know?
Philip Search
Philip Search

Postby barrett on Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:40 pm

When competing and training last year, Colter and I both used these grinders. One of us could dose/brew, dose/brew an entire hopper with no heat issues. Love them. They are light. The little mat mentioned above keeps them in place nicely. Because they are stepped, the dose varies slightly - just a slight curve to that leveling finger.

The straight down direction of the dose will save a lot of coin, and you'll never have to clean up the "Mazzer fling."

They are just a tiny blip on the radar - I wanted to do some research on the models that we were using - and they weren't even listed on the website... seems they weren't really production models yet - more like a test.

I've been tossing around the idea of getting one of the home models for my current project, but I'm only doing presses - so I don't think it's the best solution - but we'll see.
Barrett Jones
blog@ http://www.dwelltime.net
barrett

Anfim Home Grinders

Postby Lindsay Parker on Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:08 pm

Barrett,

We also carry the Anfim home models, the Best and Haus. Give Vince a call for more info.

I have spent quite a bit of time with the Super Caimano, also, more recently with the timer built in. It doses with little to no waste, distribution is a dream with the timer and training staff on them cuts down time and cost.

We do have a direct relationship with Anfim and are distributors.
Lindsay Parker
Lindsay Parker

full name: Lindsay Parker
company: 49th Parallel Coffee Roasters

Re: Anfim Home Grinders

Postby Bjorn Helberg on Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:36 pm

Lindsay wrote:Barrett,

We also carry the Anfim home models, the Best and Haus. Give Vince a call for more info.

I have spent quite a bit of time with the Super Caimano, also, more recently with the timer built in. It doses with little to no waste, distribution is a dream with the timer and training staff on them cuts down time and cost.

We do have a direct relationship with Anfim and are distributors.

European distributor/website?
Bjørn Helberg
Kaffebønna
Bjorn Helberg

full name: Bjørn Helberg
company: Kaffebønna
: www.kaffebonna.no

Re: Anfim Home Grinders

Postby Mark Prince on Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:58 am

Lindsay wrote:Barrett,

Is this sure? I spoke with Vince yesterday and he mentioned he's only carrying the Super Caimano.

I should drop by next week...

Mark
Mark Prince
Just in it for the espresso and coffee, Vancouver BC
Mark Prince

full name: Mark Prince
company: CoffeeGeek.com
: www.CoffeeGeek.com

Postby Mark Prince on Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:52 pm

Dropped by. Got a great look. Vince helped arrange for an even better look - one of the Ti-burr Super Camianos is sitting in a box at my photo studio right now.

Dosing's unbelievable. Like a gentle shower, no matter how hard you pull the dosing lever. Love the shallow, very wide grinder chute. It does indeed not seem to care how much or how little coffee you have in the hopper. Waste is minimal.

Only (periphery) complaint - steps seems like a bit of a big jump. If Anfim made this into stepless, it'd be absolutely killer. But I'll have to wait till I get more time with the grinder directly to really make any judgement call on that.

Looking forward to Phillip's visit next week to install that wicked cool timer. More soon.

Mark
Mark Prince
Just in it for the espresso and coffee, Vancouver BC
Mark Prince

full name: Mark Prince
company: CoffeeGeek.com
: www.CoffeeGeek.com

Postby Brett Hanson on Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:59 pm

These are petty observations to be sure, regardless...

* Many a fine anfim are now available http://www.49thparallelroasters.com/storeGrinders.html

* To the casual spectator, the dosing "sound" is not very satisfying. When compared with Maki's AK-47 action on the robur this weekend, the anfim's dosing (performed by MANY a fine competitor) had the quality of a child's plastic drum. Having said that, the actual grinding sound is pleasingly quiet.

What's the behind-the-counter impression of the dosing; how does it "feel" to use it?
Brett Hanson

full name: Brett Hanson
company: nerdist
: http://www.nerdist.com
: http://twitter.com/smoovebcoffee

Postby Philip Search on Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:52 am

The reduced noise level of dosing is a possitive to me, and something I try to make even quieter, I have lost over 10% of my hearing from working behind the bar on noisy equiptment for over 10 years. However, the Anfims are lighter, and don't have that nice SOLID 90# piece of cast metal feel of the Roburs.
Philip Search
Philip Search

Postby onocoffee on Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:08 pm

Brett Hanson wrote:... the dosing "sound" is not very satisfying. When compared with Maki's AK-47 action on the robur this weekend,....

This "AK-47" style of dosing is not limited to Ms. Campbell alone. I have both been guilty of and seen many baristas using the same technique and it's really starting to bother me. It shows a lack of understanding of the grinder and its' abilities. It's unelegant and without finesse.

Perhaps it's time for us to get back to craft.
Jay Caragay

Lono
new explorations in coffee + cuisine.
onocoffee

full name: Jay Caragay
company: spiral jetty
: www.sprocoffee.com
: onocoffee.blogspot.com

Postby Brett Hanson on Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:54 pm

Ouch. I don't know that I agree (keep in mind my long history of inexperience behind the bar); I think the loud(er) robur competitors this weekend were dosing for the sake of speed and better distribution, not for noise alone.

On the other hand, this could be another good example of something that customers perceive as quality actually being (a) an aspect of lower overall quality or (b) an aspect that tells customers nothing (positive or negative) about a barista's skills.

You could argue similar points about latte art. Latte art can be poured into a poorly extracted shot and make the resulting drink look "good" when the result is actually a dressed up turd.
Brett Hanson

full name: Brett Hanson
company: nerdist
: http://www.nerdist.com
: http://twitter.com/smoovebcoffee