What do you pay a barista?

the business of coffee houses

Postby Robert Goble on Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:52 pm

I've been doing a lot of thinking about operations and management issues as they relate to coffee bars lately - and recently the issue of barista wages has been on my mind.

Well each state/province has a minimum wage - though even places that just hire PBTC's usually pay more than minimum (though often just a token, say 5% - 10%, above) So how would it be for a fully qualified barista? Expressed in terms of your territory minimum wage + premium as a % of minimum, what wage should a barista earn? Minimum? Minimum + 50%? 2 times Minimum? More? And in answering this, what affect do you think wages has in developing and keeping rock-star level barista?
Robert Goble

full name: Robert Goble
company: Elysian Coffee
: www.elysiancoffee.com

Postby barry on Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:57 pm

however much you can afford.
barry

full name: T. Barry Jarrett
company: Coffee Projects Inc.

Postby Robert Goble on Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:27 pm

Is there a relationship between wage and rockstar baristas? Is there a relationship between wage and commitment? What is the marginal wage rate as it relates to performance for a barista?
Robert Goble
Elysian Coffee
Robert Goble

Postby barry on Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:25 pm

employee satisfaction is only partially tied to monetary compensation. if you have an excellent working environment/atmosphere/culture, people will stay for less money than if the job culture sucks.

--barry "we don't pay a lot, but i help with homework!" :)
barry

Postby Robert Goble on Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:30 am

:idea: I can see the signs now: "Will work for term paper". lol
Robert Goble

Postby Alistair Durie on Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:52 pm

hiring barista's is seriously the most difficult aspect of running my shop. finding people who are passionate about coffee and willing to stay on long enough so that all the training we do actually is actually applied... its is difficult. that said, i have been fortunate to have many excellent long term staff.

i pay $9-11/hr, that is what my business can afford at its current stage. i used to pay minimum 8-8.50 and i would really like to keep on the increase. My goal is to pay 11-15. My standards demand that barista's take thier job seriously, and i want to pay them a serious wage.

beyond wage, i try to offer whatever perks and flexablity I can for my staff. I cook and we eat meals and open many bottles of wine together. we have a good environment and management is pretty chill, i consider it a pretty cool place to work.

i think i'm a fairly untypical boss, i leave my staff in charge of themselves perhaps a little too much. I train hard and leave them to do the job.

If an applicants first question is about wage and money seemed a key issue, I would pass on them. I'm not in this to make big money, this is a lifestyle position and I do it because it pays the bills and I enjoy it.

well just some thoughts.

a
Alistair Durie
admin

full name: Alistair Durie
: www.coffeed.com

Postby barry on Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:25 pm

alistair wrote:If an applicants first question is about wage and money seemed a key issue, I would pass on them.

:lol: we've actually had folks come to work for us w/o them even asking/knowing how much they're going to get paid.
barry

Average barista wage in Victoria, B.C.

Postby colin99 on Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:57 pm

The campus cafe, where I hang out, is unionized and, i think, the base salary is between 12.50 - 13.00 dollars/hour to start..
Although I am totally for a secure work-place, with all the benefits, medical, etc.. this figure is out of line with the rest of the city - the average here is probably 9 to 10 bucks an hour (not including tips or gratuities)
colin99

full name: Colin Newell
company: CoffeeCrew.Com owner-operator
: http://www.coffeecrew.com
: http://coffee.bc.ca