How to drive whole bean sales

the business of coffee houses

How to drive whole bean sales

Postby Tim Taylor on Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:13 pm

I know some of you out there are doing as much as $25K out of one store in whole bean sales alone. Assuming the coffee is stellar, stands out on the shelf, is fresh roasted multiple times a week....What are some brilliant strategies any of you would be willing to share around how to maximize the potential of a whole bean retail program.

Many Thanks.
{ Tim Taylor }
Tim Taylor

full name: Tim Taylor
company: Ipsento Coffee
: http://www.ipsento.com/

Re: How to drive whole bean sales

Postby seankohmescher on Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:35 am

$25,000 is only $68 a day. Most retailers would be upset if that is all they were selling, but I guess you need to start some where.

-counter person asking customers "any beans to take home today?" to EVERY customer
-coffees in front of the counter
-good selection of coffees
-good labeling and information
-pretty signage helps
-talk coffee with the customers
-make great beverages. I say this because customers have an experience and they buy coffee in the HOPES of reproducing the experience.
-professional knowledgeable staff
-weekly cupping or tastings
-be the coffee expert
-Bean cards (buy 12, get 1 free)

Just a few ideas that if practiced daily, will have you selling alot more than $25,000 per store.
seankohmescher

full name: sean kohmescher
company: temple fine coffee and tea
: www.templecoffee.com

Postby Tim Taylor on Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:52 am

seankohmescher wrote:$25,000 is only $68 a day. Most retailers would be upset if that is all they were selling, but I guess you need to start some where.

My mistake... I meant to say 25k a month in whole bean sales out of one store. We're about a sixth of the way there. I'm going to single out and experiment with this particular suggestion:
seankohmescher wrote:-counter person asking customers "any beans to take home today?" to EVERY customer

I'll get all of my staff on board and see what becomes of it. I'll be sure to update this thread in the coming months with some results.

I appreciate the feedback.
{ Tim Taylor }
Tim Taylor

full name: Tim Taylor
company: Ipsento Coffee
: http://www.ipsento.com/

Postby Lalo Perez-Varona on Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:25 pm

I don't know how you are brewing your drip, but if you are batch brewing it would be easy to fill an airpot with a coffee you are trying to push and give out samples. Its easier for people to buy something they've tasted and liked.
Lalo Perez-Varona

full name: Lalo Perez-Varona
company: El Tercer Lugar
: stainednapkin.wordpress.com