Robur E questions...

grinders for home and commercial

Robur E questions...

Postby davedelchamps on Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:25 pm

Hello everyone,

Just purchased a Robur E for our espresso bar we're opening next week (fingers crossed). It's brand spanking new baby, but we're having a couple (minor-ish) issues and I'm wondering if anyone would be able to give good feedback...

First, why is the grind collar so hard to move? Are there some good lubricants out there that could help out with this? Is this even a lubrication issue?

Secondly, we're training all our baristas to use the manual control because the automatic feature is a bit inconsistent. I had heard about this being a bit of an issue before we purchased it, but went ahead with the buy bc we were too turned on by the sexy conical burrs and the sheer efficiency of the thing. Is it true that this gets straightened out over time? If so how many shots are we gonna have to pull before it gets more consistent?

Other than that it's awesome, but feedback would be appreciated nevertheless.
Thanks,
Dave D.
davedelchamps

full name: David Delchamps
company: Octane Coffee
: www.octanecoffee.com

Re: Robur E questions...

Postby Alistair Durie on Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:36 pm

The collar is indeed tight, but it shouldn't be too tight to make adjustments. If you've removed the collar already you may have some coffee grinds in there? I don't recommend you lube it up too much, just a tiny bit, as grease will attract the grinds and make cleaning more difficult. We wipe out the threads with paper towel before reassembly, no lubricant necessary.

As far as consistency from shot to shot, this will have a lot to do with your blend (thing bean density and ratio's of the blend). The motor cycles for a precise set time, whatever gets though, gets through. I think it will improve with a little wear-in time on the burrs (50lbs).
Alistair Durie
Elysian Coffee | photos | tweets
Alistair Durie
admin

full name: Alistair Durie
company: Elysian Coffee
: www.elysiancoffee.com
: www.coffeed.com

Postby Graeme Burton on Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:27 am

G'day Dave,

Our company is installing lots of "E" grinders at the moment. You will see a rapid improvement in consistency with a few kilos through the grinder and things should be pretty good after 20 - 30 kg or the 50 lbs as Alistair says above.

When you say inconsistent, are you talking about dose weights or shot times? If it's dose weights then that is going to change until the burrs wear in a bit more. I think this is because the burr edges are not perfectly even after manufacture and the imperfections are worn off over time. Another thing that affects dose weight variation is how the clumps do or do not break off out of the chute mesh but that should be limited to around +/- 0.5 g. If it's the shot times that are varying then of course dose weight will have an impact and also the fineness of grind will change as the burrs wear in (also likely affecting the particle size distribution). I guess you know the Robur E retains around 30 g of coffee in the burr chamber and chute so that needs to be purged before you see the full effect of any changes to grind adjustment.

Apologies if you know all this! In any case you will be an expert soon because you will be going through this again when you replace burrs in about another 600 kg :?

On a side note, I did some testing recently that compared the dose weight consistency on a Mazzer Kony E between a single origin bean and a blend of two very different size and density beans. I observed no difference between the dose weight variation. However I did ensure my "blend" was well mixed as it went into the hopper. Further work required here.

Graeme
Graeme Burton

full name: Graeme Burton
company: Five Senses Coffee
: www.fivesenses.com.au

Postby phaelon56 on Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:51 pm

The only lubricant I can comfortably recommend is food grade silicone spray. I wouldn't even spray it directly onto the threads but instead, spray it on a small piece of lint free cloth and then wipe that onto the threads. I refurb Super Jolly and Major grinders and no longer even bother with lubrication. I just clean the threads really well. You should make sure that no one had the upper burr assembly off already and somehow cross threaded it when they put it back on - it's easy to do.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
New York Central Coffee Roasters
phaelon56

full name: Owen O'Neill
company: Phaelon Coffee / New York Central Coffee

Postby davedelchamps on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:35 am

Hey Folks,

Thanks so much for the helpful comments! @Graeme Burton, I'm actually pretty new with e series grinders, so all the info you provided was quite helpful. I was aware that the burrs retain quite a bit of coffee, but I wasn't aware of just how much. I thank you.

Any tips on how to compensate for inconsistent dose weights as a result of clumping? (other than buying a modded doser model with a timer).
davedelchamps

full name: David Delchamps
company: Octane Coffee
: www.octanecoffee.com

Postby Aaron Ultimo on Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:07 pm

Probably a dumb question that I missed the answer to somewhere along the way, but how have those of you out there on Robur Es dealt with the clumping in regards to the static screen. I've heard of different modifications such as making an "x" or a "+" with a guitar string. Is this legit? Does it help? Anyone? I imagine if someone has come up with a good modification it might improve consistency and movement of grounds out of the chute...
Aaron Ultimo
Ultimo Coffee
Philadelphia Pa
Aaron Ultimo

full name: aaron ultimo
company: ultimo coffee
: www.ultimocoffee.wordpress.com

Postby jasonscheltus on Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:57 am

Alistair wrote:As far as consistency from shot to shot, this will have a lot to do with your blend (thing bean density and ratio's of the blend). The motor cycles for a precise set time, whatever gets though, gets through. I think it will improve with a little wear-in time on the burrs (50lbs).

I don't think anyone is implying that the grinder's timer is inaccurate, I think the problem is the varying doses for the same setting.

I'd be interested to see your results from a 'consistent' coffee i.e. a blend with the right ratios to allow the grinder to produce a consistent dose.
jasonscheltus

full name: Jason Scheltus
company: Market Lane Coffee
: www.marketlane.com.au
: www.melbournecoffeemerchants.com.au

Postby phaelon56 on Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:18 am

Aaron Ultimo wrote:Probably a dumb question that I missed the answer to somewhere along the way, but how have those of you out there on Robur Es dealt with the clumping in regards to the static screen. I've heard of different modifications such as making an "x" or a "+" with a guitar string. Is this legit? Does it help? Anyone? I imagine if someone has come up with a good modification it might improve consistency and movement of grounds out of the chute...

Andy Schecter has used (not sure of he still does) a home grown anti-static thingy made of some stiff wire. I don't recall the pattern that he used but was different than the one on the stock Robur screen. I finally tested a Super Jolly using the Mazzer funnel and factory anti-static screen and wasn't 100% satisfied. The convenience of doserless was very cool and I had zero static issues but there was a fair amount of clumping that I do not get with the standard doser.

Sometime this coming weekend I will set up a Major to test both with and without the screen. the Major expels grinds with far more force than the SJ. I suspect it may actually show less clumping with screen than it will with it. Will post back here with results. Obviously... the results may not be completely transferable to the Robur but I do hope they'll have some relevance.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
New York Central Coffee Roasters
phaelon56

full name: Owen O'Neill
company: Phaelon Coffee / New York Central Coffee